Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 36-40 minutes
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar (separated)
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate powder (unsweetened)
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 egg whites
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/4 cup regular temperature water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Cooking spray
- 6 peppermint candies, crushed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 3 medium size glass mugs (or jars) with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Sift flour, one cup of sugar, baking soda, baking powder, cocoa powder, corn starch and salt together into a medium bowl. In another bowl, whisk eggs, vanilla, 1/4 cup of water and 1 cup of sugar. Stir into dry ingredients and mix until fully combined.
- Add boiling water list, stirring until all mixed in. (Batter will be thin).
- Pour batter into mugs and jars about 2/3-3/4 full. (I did 2/3 and it came out perfect). Careful not to fill all the way or the batter will overflow in the oven.
- Place jars in the oven and bake for about 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick that is inserted comes out dry. Let cakes cool completely before frosting.
- Once cooled, frost with low fat cream cheese frosting. Sprinkle with peppermint candy and enjoy!
Nutritional information per 1/3 mug: 200 calories, 3.5 grams of fat, 46 grams of carbohydrates, 2.5 grams of fiber and 6 grams of protein.